Birch bark texture.


Alaska Senior Residents eligible for card in order to hunt, sport fish, or trap for free

Alaska residents who are 60 years of age or older and meet the Department of Fish and Game’s residency definition are eligible for a senior identification card in order to hunt, sport fish, or trap for free. Also, you are not required to purchase a king salmon stamp to fish for king salmon or an Alaska state conservation stamp to hunt waterfowl.

Applicants must be physically present in the State of Alaska to apply.

If at any time a senior resident card holder is no longer a resident of the State of Alaska, their card is immediately void.

The following situations disqualify applicants from receiving the senior resident card; there may be others:

  • Having a resident hunting/fishing license in another state.
  • Being registered to vote in another state.
  • Receiving a tax break on property tax in another state (homestead exemption).
  • Receiving benefits under a claim of residency in another state, territory, or country.

The number printed on your card should be used in lieu of a sport fishing, hunting and trapping license number in all instances where a license number is required (e.g., draw applications, resident big game tags, harvest tickets, etc.). Holders of senior resident card must still obtain permits and harvest cards to participate in any personal use fisheries and hunts that require a permit. Alaska senior residents planning to sportfish for species with annual limits must obtain a free Sport Fishing Harvest Record Card (PDF 108 kB), available online, at license vendors, and at Fish and Game offices, in order to record their harvest of those fish.

Senior Alaska Resident Card Application (or apply for replacement card)

Applicants who meet age and residency requirements will receive a card within 1 day to 4 weeks.