Birch bark texture.

Ahtna Kanas Summer 2021

Subsistence Fishing in the Upper Copper River

If you have not yet applied for a 2021 Federal Fish Permit, the process is explained below.

Federal subsistence fishing in the Upper Copper River opened on May 15. This fishing opportunity is available to qualified local rural residents and a federal permit is required. The permit is a household permit, and only one permit will be issued per household for a given subdistrict. Subsistence fish wheels must be registered by the owner through either the National Park Service or the local office of the Alaska Department of Fish and Game in Glennallen.

To protect the health of those who live in, work in, and visit our national parks and facilities, and in support of the President’s Executive Order 13991 Requiring Mask-Wearing, face masks are now required in all NPS buildings and facilities. Masks are also required on NPS-managed lands when physical distancing cannot be maintained, such as narrow or busy trails, overlooks, and parking lots. Additionally, due to ongoing public health advisories and staffing delays related to COVID-19, the permitting process has been adapted to ensure the safety of permit applicants and park staff. Modifications to the permitting process vary by location as follows:

Copper Center Visitor Center:

  • All applicants must call ahead to (907) 822-7250 to request a permit.
  • After allowing time for park staff to process and print the permit, it will be available for pick-up at the Visitor Center beginning May 14 during the hours of 9:00 a.m. and 5:00 p.m., seven days/week. Note that permits requested late in the day may not be available for pick-up until the following day.
  • Fish wheels may be registered at the time of picking up fishing permits.

Slana Ranger Station, (907) 822-7401:

  • Fishing permits and fish wheel registration are available at the Slana Ranger Station during the hours of 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m., seven days a week.
  • Applicants do not need to call ahead at this location.

For all issuing stations listed above, a photo ID (such as a driver’s license) and additional proof of the physical address of your primary residence is required when you come to get a permit. Documentation of physical address can include a voter registration card or a utility bill listing your physical address.

Permit applicants must be federally qualified subsistence users. To be eligible for a permit, your primary permanent residence must be in rural Alaska and your community must be listed for the intended species and location in the “Customary & Traditional Use Determination” (C&T) column of the Federal Subsistence Management Regulations Booklet for the Harvest of Fish and Shellfish

For more information, contact the park headquarters Visitor Center at (907) 822-7250.

Park Headquarters
Mile 106.8 Richardson Hwy, PO Box 439
Copper Center, AK 99573